The usage of social networking sites has changed over the past few years, as the likes of Twitter and Facebook have taken over as the most popular social networking sites from some of the earlier such as MySpace. Thanks to smartphones it has never been easier to connect with friends and family via social networking pages. So here is a list of some of the best social networking sites of 2013.
- Facebook. It is probably not a surprise to find out that the most popular social networking site on the web at the moment is Facebook. There have been many attempts to knock Facebook from its perch as the most commonly used social networking site, however, none of them have succeeded as of yet.
- Twitter. Facebook’s closest rival, Twitter, is also one of the most popular and fast-growing social networking sites, and it is popular with celebrities who wish to engage with the public without giving away too much personal information.
- LinkedIn. This is a social networking site that is tailored towards professionals who are looking to network with similar people, so that they can promote their business or services, post job advertisements as well as applying for job vacancies.
- Google+. When Google+ first came on the social network scene in 2011, it was hailed by many as the biggest threat yet to Facebook. Although it failed to replace Facebook as the number 1 social networking site, it was hailed as the fastest growing social networking site ever seen on the web. However it’s still a top discussion on how the growth numbers of G+ are quite opposite to the number of currently engaged users.
- Tumblr. Tumblr is a similar micro-blogging site to Twitter, however, it is more image based, rather than text based. It’s an especially great place for people who love modern movies, tv-series, music and other pop-culture phenomena.
- Pinterest. One of the new kids on the block, Pinterest is gaining in popularity, and it is popular with people who wish to share their interests and hobbies with other people. Its popularity stems from the fact that it is similar to an online scrapbook, or pin board, and you can share your own interests as well as share other peoples.
- YouTube. The number one video sharing site is now owned by Google, and you can link your Google+ and YouTube accounts so that it is easier to share the videos you love with your friends.
- Instagram. This photo sharing social network is one of the most popular of its kind on the web. It began life as an exclusive iOS app, however, the popularity demanded it became available on the Android operating system, and then as a standalone website. Acquired by Facebook, Instagram became one of the biggest tech deals of all time.
- Foursquare. Is a location based social network that is also a game. You check-in to places you visit in order to collect badges and points. People seem to love becoming the mayors of the places they visit while brands are feeding their customers’ egos with special offers and gaining new visitors to their places.
- StumbleUpon. Is an interesting social network with a twist. You just choose your preferred interest and press the “Stumble” button, then the app loads a webpage for you to view, plus you can submit your own pages. You can like what’s you’ve been shown or ask to never show you something like that again.
Author’s bio: Tiffanly Trepanier never expected to become a tech blogger but now she covers all the news on gadgets, tech and applications and is always ready to check out all new things digital.